Answer (1 of 9): Not sure I ever saw a true "Slam fire" or shotgun that fires from an open bolt. It features bottom ejection pump action, engraved receiver, 4 round magazine tube, plain barrel with modified c, Ithaca model 37 20 gauge Featherweight . A favorite of sportsmen, police and the military, the bottom-ejecting M37 made before 1975 or so could be slam fired super fast due to the design of the sear. When Leroy Smith died in 1902, he left his share of the company to his son, Louis, who for 17 years was Ithacas only salesman. When it happens you can see how some of the old quail hunters around here used to think that pumps were faster than semi autos. vent rib barrel with 4 choke tubes and wr, ITHACA MODEL 8700 12GA 3 INCH MAG DEERSLAYER RIFLED BORE. Ithaca Model 37 Slam fire * 12 Ga * 2 3/4 chamber * Barrel length 26" * Front bead sight * No interstate sales tax This Ithaca is in used condition, The finish is worn is a few places. on this subject, I have corresponded with the renowned author and US firearms expert Bruce Canfield. Ithaca ~ 37 Featherlight ~ 16 Ga. GI#: 102229390. Both shotguns have exactly the same malfunction right out of the box. Thanks! Magazine capacity: 4+1. The used value of an ITHACA GUN COMPANY 37 DS POLICE SPECIAL shotgun has fallen $0.00 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,060.27 . TM 9-285 which seems to be Armys take on shotguns in general and for our purposes, the M37. 1952 30" full choke barrel. La, Very good, some finish wear, small nicks and scratches. I bought it in '73, so it was fresh off the line. The second sear is the small projection on the right side of the hammer. So, I never sent mine back. Description: Ithaca, 37, ds police special, 12ga, slam fire, 20" bbl, fiber optic front sight, fixed rear sight, the is a bird scene engraved on receiver, this is a factory gun, it was acquired by the Florida Highway Patrol in 1973, the wood stock looks very good, there are no cracks or . Sometimes this inertial force is sufficient to set off the primer, thereby firing the round without the operator pulling the trigger. Standard dimensions are a 1.5-inch drop at comb, 2.25-inch at heel and a 14.25-inch length of pull, reduced to 14 inches for the 28 gauge. Suggested retail prices start at $784 for the Home Defense models, $895 for the standard hunting models, $1,020 for the trap guns, $1,145 for 28 gauges, and $1,150 to $1,350 for the Deerslayer models, depending on features. Seems that there's a lot of Ithaca 37 fans on here so I thought I'd make a post with the serial numbers. The original Ithaca Gun Co. of Ithaca, New York, was founded in 1883 and went out of business in 2005 (though a new company operates under the same name in Ohio). CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE.CK OU, Excellent plus overall condition. In the current catalog, you will find the Featherlight, Defense Gun, Deerslayer II, Deerslayer III, Turkey Slayer, Waterfowl, Trap Model, Womens Stock and 28 Gauge. Ads were bought in outdoor magazines asking owners of 1893s to send their shotguns to Winchester and be replaced by a new one, the Model 1897. Lay-, Metal surfaces rate near excellent, light handling marks to wood. If the trigger is held back the hammer will follow the bolt forward as it closes. .Serial Number: 371659823. strong>ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL 20 iNCH SMOOTH BORE. Factory Ithaca pad. About 48,000 Model 1917s were manufactured by the time it was discontinued in 1933 and replaced by the side-ejecting Model 31, which later evolved into the Model 870. Still perfectly legal to make a slam fire pump shotgun, it's just not cost effective. Free Shipping, No Credit Card Fees. Ithaca M-87 Featherlight Deerslayer 20 ga. An oddity of the firearm that has some combat value is the lack of a disconnector. BEAUTIFUL COND.NONE NICER,COMPARE. Made in many different models, the Ithaca 37 has the longest production run for a pump-action shotgun in history, surpassing that of the Winchester Model 12, the original inspiration for Ithaca's entry into the market. As a final note (perhaps!) Modern CNC technology means that the machined parts are made more precisely than ever. Ithaca Acquisition took over the company and moved all the manufacturing to King Ferry, New York. The short stroke and very solid sound and feel of the Ithaca action is a delight to me; it is claimed to be unsurpassed by any pump gun in this regard. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. A pump action shotgun made for civilian, law enforcement and military use. Following the First World War, the Ithaca Gun Company sought to produce a pump-action shotgun to compete with the ubiquitous Winchester Model 1912. After gearing for production of their new shotgun as the Ithaca Model 33 in 1933, Ithaca discovered a Pedersen patent that would not expire until 1937, and production had to be delayed. Only a few modest marks of, #DU37040XXXX 30" VENT RIB FULL CHOKE 2 3/4" CHAMBER SINGLE TRIGGER PISTOL GRIP EXCELLENT CONDITION WITH SOME LIGHT HANDLING FACTORY PAD 7LBS 0 OZ 13 7/8" LOP, **Price Reduced** Ithaca model 37 featherweight 12 gauge in great condition. ITHACA 37R, 16 GA., FEATHERLIGHT 28 FULL CHOKE, SOLID RIB BARREL, HIGH COND. Production paused in 2005 when Ithaca once again changed hands. I have to say that our Slam Firing Shotguns would appear to be an urban myth, born of non Ithaca owners mystical reverence of our chosen shotgun! The Winchester 1897 and Ithaca 37 actions are way more complicated and expensive to manufacture than the 870 and 500. The other thing is simply there are stronger systems out there. $35.00 shipping. Make: Ithaca. 12 gauge. Probably not a good idea. Loading the Ithaca 37 involves inserting shotshells of the proper gauge through the loading/ejection port in the bottom of the receiver and pushing them forward into the magazine until retained by the shell stop. NY: Avon Books, 1995. Come's with an extra barrel cut to 18 5/8" and ported. A spring then forces the bolt forward again, and in the process a fresh round is stripped out of the magazine. The Model 37 was used by the United States Armed Forces in World War II,[5] the Korean War, and especially the Vietnam War, where it gained a great reputation for reliability in the jungles of Vietnam when generally used by special and special operations forces like the Navy SEALs[6] and Army Green Berets. So how far back does the "extra sear" design go? When I dress Western, nothing beats the classic good looks of my Smith & Wesson (S&W) 586 .357 revolver. Wood is in very good condition. Its the go-to gun for those shooters who prefer its simple design over the more complicated autoloaders and the pricey doubles and over/unders. Mr. Smith was a brother of L.C. I understand they eventually "fixed" the slam fire feature and I'm wondering if there's anyway to tell. Ithaca once again pushed back its plans for a pump gun. It jammed from the first day he used it. The Remington Model 17 has a disconnect system much like what semi-autos have. That's nice, I won't feel bad about slamfiring it anymore! The 37s that were at the competitions NEVER worked under the restraints required by the times in order to be competitive. In 1937, it was released as the Ithaca 37. Used. What year or serial # range did the mod 37 stop being able to slam fire? For those of you who arent familiar with the term slamfire, let me enlighten you before you watch the video. If you scroll down below the video, I will place a description of the shotgun showcased. At one time, there were predictions that the autoloader would someday replace the pump gun. Remington's Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 LR rifles have grown from 1950s bargain buys to 21st century collectors darlings. They then knurled the end of the barrel so you would have to pull down on the spring loaded barrel to load, often placing the butt end on the ground and if those old paper shells got stuck or your hand slipped the gun would go off. 3% charge on credit card purchase. He is one of the best Model 37 "mechanics" in the world. Action: Manual Pump, Bottom Load & Ejection. The recoil-operated autos are cleaner but some, especially the older long-recoil designs, have more of a kick than either the gas guns or pumps. The Model 37 is a manually operated, slide- or pump-action shotgun fed from a tubular magazine located beneath the barrel. There was time to have gun designer Harry Howland make some changes to the firing pin and ejector mechanism and, by 1937, Ithaca was ready to introduce the Model 37 to the shooting world. This rare variation is very popular with collectors. Smith & Wesson Model 586: Reviewing A .357 Revolver With Class. Firing the gun by pulling the trigger releases the fore-end slide so it can be pulled to the rear to eject the spent shell and then pushed forward to quickly load another round into the chamber. The Model 97, as it was later known, became the most popular shotgun in the country. The 97s first serious competition in the pump gun category was its sibling, the Winchester Model 12, introduced in 1912. A shot in the dark, so to speak, perhaps to achieve, with a manual action, (known reliability) parity in respect of rates of fire with the emerging self- loaders..? AN ITHACA GUN COMPANY 37 DS POLICE SPECIAL shotgun is currently worth an average price of $1,060.27 used . 16 Gauge .Click for more info. Good. Ithaca M-37 12 ga. (1949 . The person I talked to said this is the first I have ever heard of any problems with this shotgun. All Rights Reserved, Slam fire memories with the Ithaca M37 pumpgun (VIDEO). That may make a difference to a buyer who wants differing choke selections for these fine pump guns. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Barrel Choke: Cylinder Choke .730. The way Ithaca stopped the firing when the bolt was closed and trigger held back was to remove the second sear on the hammer. The Flues model single barrel trap guns and the two bolt hammer guns are also numbered within this series. Any of these that came to the factory for service were converted back to the original shell stops at no charge. The used value of an ITHACA 37 shotgun has risen $18.72 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $582.38 . He also hangs out in the I love my Ithaca section of shotgunworld as lecky56 Factory c. ITHACA 37 12GA 28 MOD. All barrels are steel-shot compatible, and current Model 37s come with three Briley choke tubes in full, modified and improved cylinder; a red TruGlo front sight; gold-plated trigger; and a five-round magazine capacity, with a plug to reduce it to 2+1 where required. ITHACA MODEL 37 ULTRA FEATHERLIGHT 20 GAUGE 20GA. A similar model, known as the Trench Gun, was made for the military during WWI. It is finished in a matte black finish. The Model 37 was based on a patented John Browning design. Barrel has some discoloration. Gold bead front sight. *Interchangeable barrels began with serial number 855000. They may not truly trust a semi-auto and are comforted by the simplicity of a pump. Barrel length: 20". The per-unit cost was $36.61, which included a cleaning rod and web sling. * Some M&P guns were built from unused Ducks Unlimited Trade Model receivers and had a DU serial number. The receivers of todays Model 37s are made the way they were made years ago, from a solid block of steel. He did not consider it of any fundamental importance and thus it was not included in his detailed publications. Classic Ithaca pump shotgun, 26" Ribbed barrel with improved cylinder choke, 2 3/4" chamber, case colored reciever with engraved game scen, This Ithaca Model 37 is a right hand pump action shotgun in 12 Ga. I wanted one so bad for a while. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked full, and 14" LOP. The old Model 12 Winchesters and early Ithaca Model 37's Pump shotguns had no disconnector , so if you fired the first shot and held the trigger back, when you pumped another round in it would fire a. Out of production since 1975, the Model 37 is now back and every bit as mean-looking and effective as it was in the jungles of Vietnam, where it was effective to 75+ yards with 000, 00, and #4 . $895 and FREE SHIPPING to your FFL in the l, Excellent overall condition, a few light handling marks. The Ithaca Model 37, now that's a piece of advanced weaponry. YEAR SERIAL NUMBER YEAR SERIAL NUMBER YEAR SERIAL NUMBER, 1914 246892 to 246895 1922 400000 to 400014 1945 WW II, 1915 to 255000 1923 to 400055 1946 to 402797, 1916 to 273400 1924 to 400195 1947 to 402833, 1917 to 278500 1925 to 400473 1948 to 402898, 1918 to 279000 1926 to 400874 1949 to 403222, 1919 to 306000 1927 to 401181 1950 to 403406, 1920 to 306800 1928 to 401591 1951 to 403657, 1921 to 344100 1929 to 402006 1952 to 403749, 1922 to 344200 1930 to 402331 1953 to 403923, 1923 to 344215 1931 to 402464 1954 to 404088, Were reserved for undefined specials 81900 - 82499. An LGS has a 37 for $250. The gun is in almost new condit, Smith & Wesson Model 37 Airweight, chambered in .38 Special. My older Ithaca is capable of slamfiring. A Cold War era classic with smooth lines, a legendary back story, and an exotic-sounding name, Beretta's Model 71 was definitely a mouse that roared. Browning sold this patent to Remington, and the plan was to put the new gun on the market in 1917 as the Model 17. If not, when did it appear and it what gun? S/N: 39375 Mfg. I have one made in 1975 that is a 20ga and another made in 1977 coming in 12 ga. The Model 37 Featherlight has commonly been seen in the hands of farmers and hunters in the midwestern United States. Scared the hell out of me, but then I realized it was a cool feature. This shotgun will slam-fire as designed. Sold Out See Details. Many sporting arms ceased production entirely during the same period. The 16 was made in 1965 and the 12 1974, and the 20 1975. Then as the shell is lifted up toward the chamber, another shell slides out of the magazine under the guide arms preventing closing of the bolt face. Interesting that I have one whose number, 37135XXXX, is not on the list. With the growing popularity of smokeless powder, and to avoid any injuries and lawsuits, the company did what might have been the first recall by a firearms manufacturer. 2018. Out of stock. They used the Remington Model 17 as their model and made modificationssuch as simplifying and cost-saving alterations of the firing pin and ejection mechanism, the work of Ithaca designer Harry Howland in 1931[2]while waiting for related patents to expire. A slamfire is a premature, usually unintended discharge of a firearm that occurs as a cartridge is being loaded into the chamber. Recently picked up a 16 ga 37 w/poly choke the shoots and handles better than expected. Ithaca likes to make it clear that every part is made and assembled in the U.S.A. Another feature of todays Model 37 is that no soldering or brazing is used in the manufacture of the barrel. md yx pa qb vq ig ay . The Dawn Of The Pump That first successful pump-gun was the Winchester Model 1897, which was an improved variant of the Model 1893. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Model: 37 Featherlight. May 16, 2012, 09:43 PM . I have 3 Model 37s. ISSUE LAPD Commemorative Model LAPD Model 37 LAPD Model 87 LAPD Model 87 Bicentennial Model Centennial Models Presentation Model Trade Model Ducks Unlimited Models Trade Model* Auction Model Americana Model Charles Daly Model Stakeout DU Guide Gun for Canadian chapters DU Guide Gun for U. S. chapters Genoa Centennial Commemorative King Ferry . This page also has other serial numbers for guns made by Ithaca, LeFever, and some others. Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. Unique serial number sequences were established for special edition and commemorative Model 37 and Model 87 guns. The decision was made to wait until the patent for the Model 17 expired in 1933, at which time Ithaca would introduce a new bottom-ejection slide-action to be known as the Model 33. Stay in the know. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! The Winchester Model 12 had become very popular and was setting the standard for pump-action shotguns. R eprinted with express written permission from Walter Claude Snyder s books The Ithaca Gun Company F rom T he Beginning and I thaca Featherlight Repeaters:: The Best Gun Going:: A Complete History of the I thaca M odel 37 and the M odel 87 . 3" chamber ,satin wood and metal. Year of Manufacture:. Very good plus overall condition, a few light abrasions. WESTERN ARMS MODEL LONG RANGE DOUBLE GUNS. ** The mark HG indicated registration with the BATF. Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com. I would check with Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, NY. I first found this out rabbit hunting when I was a kid. ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL LENGTH 20 INCH OVER ALL METAL AND WOOD RATES 97% MECHANICS PERFECT. That obviously hasnt happened, and today, some 120 years after the first successful slide-action went on the market, the good old pump still plays a big role in the shotgun sports. . Generation after generation, the pump-action remains a favorite scattergun for a variety of reasons. $75 for insured shipping Layaway available No sales or shipping to California, Hawaii, Ne, SALE PENDING JOEY D. 11/24/22 Used only by a little old lady on her way home from Church!We'll not quite but in exceptional hardly used condtion for a 73 yr old shotgun. K-Mart Classics: Remingtons Nylon Rimfires Engineered To Last. It was based on a 1915 patent by the famous John M. Br. 26 vent rib barrel with added choke tube system with one Full choke insert. Thanks berettaracer! It's a featherlight model with the dog and such engravings. This shotgun is in great shape and shoots very nice. Production has resumed in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. it is clear that this exceptional example has spent the last nearly 65 yrs in a closet. Ithaca Gun Company warrants to you, the original purchaser, that this firearm was manufactured free of defects in material or workmanship; and for a period of one (1) year after the date of purchase, the manufacturer agrees to correct by repair or replacement (with same or comparable quality model) your firearm. 25 Improved Cylinder vent rib barrel. Receiver and bore are in excellent condition. Features include: J-frame, similar to Model 36 Chiefs Special, except alloy frame and 1 7/8 in. They will pump-fire just like the Ithaca Model 37. "The Ithaca Model 37 Defense Gun Eight Shot 3-inch 12 Gauge is the high-capacity 20-inch-barrel model, able to hold seven shells in the magazine plus one in the chamber. It's a "newer" "old" 37 with a SN of MAG - 870042xxx and it did come without the two carrier screw locking screws. The bore is in excellent condition. The second sear (if present) is part of the slide release and it release's he hammer if the trigger is held back. The largest single users outside the US Military were the New York City Police Department and the Los Angeles Police Department. The butt stock is a checker, SALE PENDING JOE D NJ 12/10/22LAYAWY 2D OF 2 ***BARN FIND !!!! A ll rights reserved,, copyrighted , no material with in this document may be copied or distributed in any way without the expr ess written permission of the author , Walter Claude Snyder . It probably came about because they were going to law enforcement and military. WANT TO PURCHASE CALL SHOP 71`6-941-3946, SALE PENDING SALE PENDING Like new condition 26 in. A total of 22,000 of these Model 37 shotguns was delivered to the Saigon government between Nov. 14, 1962 and Jan. 31, 1963. Learn how your comment data is processed. Ithaca soon established itself as a major player in the firearms history. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked improved cylinder, 14" LOP. Free Shipping, No, selling a model 37 pump 16 ga, nice condition thtoughout, persumably original finish, tight action. I just found the serial number page when I was attempting to establish the year of manufacture for my own 37. Manufactured in 1962. Pump action 16 gauge with 26" ribbed barrel, 2 3/4" chamber, improved cylinder choke, and factory recoil pad. Need Help?service@guns.comCall (866)582-4867, PO Box 1131 13800 Nicollet Blvd Burnsville, MN 55337 2023Guns.com. The buttstock is uncheckered walnut, finished off with a nicely ground, black Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. Learn how and when to remove this template message, "An Official Journal of the NRA | A Look Back at the Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun", "The Ithaca Model 37 In U.S. Military Service", "Evolution of shotguns in the Marine Corps", "Vintage LAPD Ithaca M37 Shotgun Lottery", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ithaca_37&oldid=1137452851. 2018. The second sear does not come into play till the trigger is held back and the action closed. Choke. My Ithacas will slam fire as well. At one time, the Ithaca 37 was renamed the Model 87, although it was soon changed back in one of many ownership changes. Get the 76th edition of the World's Greatest Gun Book. Its popularity is widespread with all types of shooters and for any shotgunning applications, including hunting, competitive shooting, self-defense, law enforcement and the military. More than one million were produced over its 60-year life-span between 1897 and 1957. You have entered an incorrect email address! the big difference is that slam-fire version is fully auto, less accurate, and only has the illusion of slam-firing. LSB#: 211016GS01. Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 Gauge Shotgun. Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about. Up for sale is an Ithaca model 37. But not to abuse it in anyway either. Very interesting stuff Jaguar, you seem to know these guns very well. I have two that will not fire with the trigger held back --- 37147xxxx and 37153xxxxx both guns have a "disconnector". Thanks Donald. . Les Hovencamp www.diamondgunsmithing.com Z Zbigniew Registered Joined Mar 12, 2016 5,492 Posts General Recreation again filed for bankruptcy in 1985. ITHACA MODEL 37 FEATHERLIGHT PUMP 12 GAUGE 3 MAGNUM CAMO SHOTGUN. Model 12s also are drawing premium prices. Epic 22 Pocket Pistol: The Beretta 71 Jaguar. 8shot 20" New in bx, Ithaca 37 Featherweight Slide Shotgun 16ga, ITHACA 37, DELUXE DEERSLAYER, SMOOTH BORE, 12 GA. WITH BSA SCOPE, ITHACA MODEL 37 16GA PLAIN BARREL 28" CHOKE FULL BRASS BEAD, Ithica Model 37 Trap ventilated Rib 12 Gauge, Smith & Wesson ~ Model 37 Airweight ~ .38 Special, ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL 20 iNCH SMOOTH BORE, Ithaca Model 37 Classic Featherlight 28 Gauge. The next pump gun to give both the Model 12 and the 97 serious competition was the Ithaca Model 37. More than two million Model 37s have been produced over its 80-year history. Some shooters prefer the manually-operated pump because they want to be more in control of the guns operation. It, too, was based on a John Browning design. The company was founded in Ithaca, New York, in 1880 by partners William Henry Baker, Dwight McIntyre, John Van Natta and Leroy H. Smith.

Shelley Butch'' Anthony Iii Net Worth, Parris Island Recruit Deaths, Toobin Zoom Video Actual Video, Cedardale Haverhill Membership Cost, Articles I