2 comments neatbot on Jun 7, 2017 VSCode Version: 1.12.2 OS Version: Win. The actual APP could just be a "container" for multiple canvas that can be rearranged inside. I really want this feature!! The Terminal: Set Fixed Dimensions command allows changing the number of columns and rows that the terminal and it's backing psuedoterminal uses. Links are keyboard accessible through several commands that open links based on the type of link. Like others have said, opening in a new window isn't what were asking for or wanting. By clicking Sign up for GitHub, you agree to our terms of service and May 26, 2021 at 2:44. Ctrl + K, O, It's such a basic feature, I first thought the missing of the floating window was a bug :'). @iansan5653 Well then why put a terminal in VSCode in the first place? https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/24/andreessen-horowitz-london-virtual-reality-startup-improbable https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/11398. @algiuxass Same here. Webstorm/Phpstorm both have this feature, and it is really the main thing that I like about those apps. Yet you don't have an offline uninstaller for an 8GB installer! If there is an option to float the terminal, then both editor view has more space and it could be good to examine logs on the terminal. Watch task should execute automatically on workspace open, Explorer / search / debug / git / extensions, Developing against non-MS runtimes/platforms, Open your project folder or workspace (if not open already), (if the sidebar is visible) With the new window selected, click View > Toggle Side Bar, (if the activity bar is visible) With the new window selected, click View > Hide Activity Bar, each piece (editor, panel, view) of the workbench needs to be runnable in a separate browser window, which means that each piece needs to be fully self-contained, the master window needs to basically multi-plex its workbench layout to multiple windows (e.g. frustrated? I see editor tabs as more important than the others. I would love to see this feature added. : The Backlog-Link (https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/milestone/8) here in the right panel does not work?). Yes on the small scale of an application it may be as easy as this Any help is appreciated. This ticket is about opening two windows in THE SAME workspace. This would not be movable outside of that WebView but at least you can freely position it within that. Would be a great first step to make that detachable. It seems to be a bigger task, thus it make sense to ask before going with implementation. I understand the fact that there are technical complexities to implement this feature. The same functionality can't be achieved by spawning a new process, because, AIUI, for languages that have LSP-based tooling, the two processes could not both talk to the same language server, so you'd only have the LSP-based features in one of them. You can open your terminal in a few ways. You are receiving this because you were mentioned. This would not be movable outside of that WebView but at least you can freely position it within that. That's why it is my default for a small screen (i.e. Got some great news for anyone else who (like me) didn't know: looks like this feature is already (mostly) implemented. Dragging and dropping tabs in the list will rearrange them. Why is this still not a thing ! That's easy part. In neither case do I actually want a floating window such as in Visual Studio. Word links: This is the fallback link type and uses the terminal.integrated.wordSeparators setting to define word boundaries and make nearly all text into words. +1. Because a new windows, probably mean VSCode provider need to support it because the context isn't as simple with one window etc. Icons may appear to the right of the terminal title on the tab label when a terminal's status changes. That's quite a clever way of doing it. The text was updated successfully, but these errors were encountered: Just adding my support to this. While they work, they also cause a system "invalid key" sound to play due to an issue in Chromium. I want it to spawn a new copy of VSCode. I do know you do not speak for the VSC-Team. But after using it for first 15 minutes I missed this function. The default terminal.integrated.gpuAcceleration value of "auto" tries the WebGL, canvas, and DOM renderers sequentially, settling at the first without detected issues. I do find it odd that although this is now two years old and the most wished for and discussed feature here, this is still being completely ignored by the developers. I think all it would need is a tab bar (for multiple code editor tabs) and the tab content.]. That would require the VSCode team to publicly discuss a plan for implementing this highly requested functionality. It should be draggable up and down around the left corner. I suggest floating windows option for: This way we could take advantage of large screen space and / or multi monitors. So this is at least slightly different from any community project people do for fun and in their spare time. This approach would be greatly appreciated in VS Code. no feature or workflow requires that you use them), so I don't see how it's a bad UX choice, even from the viewpoint of folks who don't want to use them. It feels insane to be stuck on just 1 monitor for code editing, especially when I'm working on several files simultaneously. @jez9999 Yes I understand that, as I understand also that it's not a simple feature to add and maintain in the future. Possible better focus IMO, fixing word pattern selection and renaming selection, adding drag & drop support into panels, etc Also, most of the OS don't support a proper tiling system for you windows so yeah have fun managing each ones @MangelMaxime You do realize that new windows would be optional? As others have mentioned, no one can really begin work a feature as significant as this until there is some assurance that the work will be accepted. My current VS Community Edition setup: First thing i noticed missing when switching. Explorer / search / debug / git / extensions. Chrome has a model where each window get's its own isolated context, e.g. I think it would be a good option to expose on the right-click menu for the active tab and/or items in the Open Editors document explorer. So yeah here's one more developer wishing I could detach tabs out of VSCode just like work with VS. I think that we should try to do VSC more modular and prepare some kind of multi-window mechanism before we start work on floating windows with single UI parts. Nice to see others wanting the same. https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/10121#issuecomment-395718792, An hour you ask the same question, and he replies, "there are a lot of turns needed to get there," and will say no more. To use terminals in the editor area, there are several options: Create via the Create Terminal in Editor Area command. I'm glad I'm not alone. I haven't seen commits in awhile, not sure if he hit a snag or just got busy. But we're not about to just grab the wheel and drive ourselves, it's not our taxi. I use vscode to work on a large c# solution, specifically, 19644 c# files. Been watching for this feature for a while, just adding another voice saying I really wish this would happen! The terminal features sophisticated link detection with editor integration and even extension contributed link handlers. ), A thumbup for this. I would love to see the ability to detach the console (and other parts of the editor) and push them across to a separate screen allowing me to get the full real estate of my main screen for writing and reading my code when I'm working somewhere with multiple screens/. Yeah, calling me kiddo living behind the moon won you this discussion! Will it has this feature next major version? Adding my request for this feature as well. For more information, please see our For those who just want to open files in new windows and were lead to this page by Google, use the keyboard shortcut for "Open Active Files in New Window"; This way you could create a socket or bus of communication between windows If you really want VSCode featured in multiple windows, why not try to fork and make it possible by yourself? You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread. With a little luck, It could be a very simple change in the VSCode main window. Read about the new features and fixes from November. -- It was the third thing I tried to do in VS Code (right after changing the theme to light, so that I could see the menus, and installing the mssql extensions). I'm sure this issue is on the team's radar (it is the number one requested feature). Quite often with the full Visual Studio I'd drag out a tab to my other monitor so that I could view two code files at once. A workaround in the mean time is to open two windows, open a parent folder and a child folder of the same project. https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/2397125/26831065/5b8f145c-4acb-11e7-8f81-fe25512708cd.gif, Desired Behavior: Obviously you can work around it by opening specific files in a separate (ctrl + shift + N) Visual Studio Code instance, but it's definitely something that should be addressed as soon as possible. This approach means multiple monitors are easily supported. Besides, it's not always the code you keep watching. PS There are someone only give down emoji but not to try to listen other idea or give some ways about how to sovle it. However, items (1) and (2) from @bpasero's list of challenges would remain. Got tired of adjusting the problems/output/terminal window up and down. Anyway, the point is: there is high demand NOW and it is absolutely being ignored. https://github.com/electron-utils/electron-dockable. Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHubhttps://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/10121#issuecomment-334327742, or mute the threadhttps://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AD90FFy4E1Ra3EKfLfwh026vvezYp9FJks5spCT2gaJpZM4JckZO. Tip: Also run the active file using the command workbench.action.terminal.runActiveFile. You can't debug in the other editor either. which means each window is a separate chromium process, accompanied by some Links are activated by mousing over the link so an underline appears, then hold Ctrl/Cmd and click. "Duplicate Workspace in New Window". While I express as much enthusiasm as anyone here about the prospect of multi-window, I am happy to wait as long as it takes. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. One more vote. In fact, it's the only feature that stops me using VS Code exclusively. each window has its own process and its own JavaScript context. @bpasero by technical limitation do you say that it's a Electron limitation? Try accessing projects with multiple configurations of multiple languages, tooling and frameworks (such as .NET (plus tools and libs) for backend and buisness logic + DB abstractions and Angular/VueJS/React for front-end or some other frameworks). By default, the terminal will open at the folder that is opened in the Explorer. I use Code in one monitor and my browsers and emulators in the other screen. @TedYav That restriction has technical reasons behind it - see #2686 for more info & discussion. I have little doubt that VS Code team must realize this is a - nuclear level issues - so obviously they have a major architectural flaw that they simply can't address. This works pretty nice for me :sweat_smile: Which means what exactly? I agree that this is a fundamental issue with the editor otherwise it is pretty great. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Just clutters up the stores, makes them harder to maintain. Look at what @RoyTinker mentioned. Gonna subscribe to this issue to get ping'd when this great feature is present. It is my biggest desire to see added with vscode. And thanks @D1no, now I want an Oculus Rift so I can have 17 virtual monitors :). Until VS Code has multiple display support I do not see moving to this editor as my default. Please use to vote. There are workarounds to make an offline installer out of an online installer on the net! If you have some contributions to share beside trolling, we are all happy to hear you out. So a minimum viable implementation of this feature wouldn't be intractable if one can automate steps 2-5 (+closing original tab) and trigger the automation when someone drags/drops a tab onto a non-vscode-owned part of the screen. Why not set up a crowdfunding for it? By leaving a , and keeping the discussion area clear for constructive discussion, such as: I quite like the implementation that VS had, where on dragging any part of the UI it could "snap" to part of the screen. Or maybe it's already possible using Cmd-K o? The text was updated successfully, but these errors were encountered: Thanks for creating this issue! Extensions can contribute link providers which allow the extension to define what happens when clicked. The best I can offer would be to resize the window so it covers both your screens and split the editor into two tiles along the middle between your monitors. Enable Windows Subsystem for Linux on your Windows 10 machine. As a first solution it does not need to be 100% "detachable" windows. 10 (creative edition) It will take time too. Please add this feature. So getting back to topic: What can we do? Read about the new features and fixes from November. Start with the technical and worthy discussion then. Terminals often have contrast issues due to some conflict with dark/light themes, ANSI colors or shells/programs running, and more. They say that we can not have multiple node.js instances in one process. I want to be able to open files into a new window (for example to put on a different monitor or a different virtual workspace). "You can currently see 3 files, one vertical panel (debugger, git, search, explorer) and horizontal panel at the same time", nice try, but you know what I mean, I mean a maximized window with a CSS file in one monitor and a maximized window with HTML in another one that's far better than having a lot of uncomfortably panels in the same monitor. be successful. The first thing to try is to disable GPU acceleration, trading off rendering speed for DOM-based rendering, which is more reliable: See the GPU acceleration section for more information. Vscode is awesome and it will be more awesome with this fonctionality! Save your project as a "workspace," then open up a file, use the hotkey Ctrl+K O (as I see you're on Windows) which is to show active file in new window/instance. How do you format code in Visual Studio Code (VSCode)? https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AAqQmoLrUY4l5H5xwroWCytBbgT2LIL_ks5s8HIqgaJpZM4JckZO How can I customize the tab-to-space conversion factor? They have to create a new windows each time you drag a tab into it's own window, and obviously this isn't an easy thing to do. Don't double post please. Open the command palette using Ctrl + Shift + P. Type - Select Default Shell. This should be a major long-term goal until it gets done. There are multiple pages of github issues requesting this feature. Or is it more about VSCode one project <-> one window design? On a proper workstation I use Visual Studio. There might not be a clean or clear way of doing it across all platforms. Text in the terminal can be customized with the following settings: Powerline fonts are special patched fonts that contain additional characters that can be used in the terminal. I totally agree with you. Beeing a longtime user of Visual Studio, notepad++, working for years with 3 (21 - 25 inch) monitors it is actually the one single feature that after a few hours using Visual Studio Code stops me using it. We are looking for the ability to pop out a window and move it where we want, basically like premire pro does with the different pallets sort of thing, Just my 2 cents This is useful to temporarily focus on a large amount of output. When I try this now, the new workspace definitely doesn't reopen the folder, but the git actions remaining even if I am working with files below the repository directory. @Aetherall and others, please read further up the thread. You can do this in Xcode by either tearing a tab off or using File-> New Window. Want to see this feature being implemented? It's crititcal functionality, Especially for multi monitor setup. There's a lot to to love about VS Code, but the one significant missing feature for me is the lack of floating editor-tab-only windows (like I've gotten used to having in Visual Studio). Would it not be better to build it in now, when the overall system is relatively simpler ? BTW using MacOS or Linux is not the only reason not to use VS, If you ever used VS, then you know how bloated it is. Indefinite article before noun starting with "the", Two parallel diagonal lines on a Schengen passport stamp, Counting degrees of freedom in Lie algebra structure constants (aka why are there any nontrivial Lie algebras of dim >5?). The lack of this feature is a huge issue for those with multiple monitors (basically everyone who works with code). Please implement this feature to float the windows (window detaching). Only 150 more and it'll be in the top 3! Other terminals often display the escape sequence sent by the shell as the title, which can be configured with: Each terminal has an associated icon that is determined by its terminal profile. I hit this limitation a couple of times a day, it's a pretty big missing feature for me. Not really. I dont see it there, so it seems you guys continue to ignore the high demand for this feature. VS Code's terminal renders some of the Powerline symbols without needing to configure a font, but if more glyphs are desired, configure a Powerline font with the font family setting. It was the Language Server Protocol that attracted me to VSCode in the first place. years. Since it came out, Code hasn't had multi-monitor support, and I assumed that choice was made intentionally. If you really want VSCode featured in multiple windows, why not try to fork and make it possible by yourself? Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. I don't know how Electron memory is working but I believe that if we load all application in second window, then memory usage of VSC will dramatically increase. Same as most people here : Hes a core VSCode team member. The split pane functionality is nice but not the same. "Ctrl + K then O" Now imagine you you have an editor where you type in and you want to drag it out to produce a new window, you would expect that operation to be very fast and lightweight. Tearing the tab out is the behavior I want (the same way it works in Chrome browser). bleepcoder.com uses publicly licensed GitHub information to provide developers around the world with solutions to their problems. Perhaps I'll look closer into the sources and figure out if this would be a good way of doing it. +1. This behavior can be changed using the terminal.integrated.splitCwd setting: There are also extensions available that give more options such as Terminal Here. That is user base frustrated because they lack multiple monitor support. The terminal is not still as useful as the traditional command prompt. i would love to detach debugger console so as to view on 2nd monitor. "104 more votes to make it to the top 10" as of October 25, 2017. (). This is very important. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. To use Ctrl+A to select all, add this custom keybinding: Dragging a file into the terminal will input the path into the terminal, with escaping to match the active shell. We made it! You are currently in a difficult situation to somehow solve it, without corruption everything that has been created so far, but the earlier you take this challenge the better for everyone, after spends of more time and the writing of more code may be too late for such change. Its hard to believe that its been 2 years and there has been so little progress on this. Sometimes you watch the output or enter some commands in terminal. But for me ergonomically very uncomfortable and tiring to a degree that makes me leaving it be again. Allow debug-actions-widget position adjustable and configurable. 528), Microsoft Azure joins Collectives on Stack Overflow. For instance, open the directory for your app in one window, and the 'public' folder in the other window. We're developers, a lot of us would understand a technical reason. Looking through these comments, it seems I am not alone in this view. :). For example, "'Fira Code', monospace" will configure Fira Code as the primary font and monospace as the fallback when it lacks glyphs. Hmm, I don't appear to have this functionality in latest macOS - does it need to be enabled? Typical dev commenting on this issue: "All other IDEs with bad UI designed in 90s forced me to buy multiple screens to be productive at all, so this new IDE shouldn't try to fix problem differently but replicate same bad UI and support my multiple screens". No no don't you run away when you are proven wrong! -- At any rate, Visual Studio does this amazingly well, perhaps you could reach out to the Visual Studio Prime team and ask to just borrow their code for this bit. Ill try.. Visual Studio 2017 handles this quite well for dragging out tabs to become new windows so hopefully we see something like that in the near future. The recommended workaround is to tell macOS to no-op for these keybindings by running this in your terminal: By default, the integrated terminal will render using GPU acceleration on most machines. As a result of this issue, I have moved on to contributing to Language Server Protocol support in Eclipse instead. Would love to be able to use VScode on both monitors and split files between them. For example: If you wanted to open a project folder in VSCode, its easy with the command prompt. At first you can't possibly ignore it, but after a while you don't even see it anymore. Come to think of it, the absence of floating windows (like VS proper) is my only real problem with VS Code. If thats correct, I am pretty sure that they get payed for working on this. This way you may also find smaller size monitors more appealing, because of their compact size and cheaper price. This is an OSS. I'm now a front-end dev on macOS and I wouldn't switch back to Windows and Visual Studio just for multi-window support. 3.) A definitive must have on split screen 1 portrait, 1 landscape. It shouldn't be misused as a general webbrowser or media tool or something like that. this is the ONE thing about it that i really don't like. The split pane functionality is nice but not the same. It provides integration with the editor to support features like links and error detection. The integrated terminal has find functionality that can be triggered with F (Windows, Linux Ctrl+F). +1. This behavior is baffling to me. I don't see any reasonable discussion around possible implications of the different ways of implementing such feature. For me at this moment that is the most needed functionality when it comes to UI/UX. I will have to agree with the comments above. I don't mind opening vscode to edit ~/.bash_profile because I don't have to wait for 4 minutes like I might with Visual Studio or WebStorm. Request: Please close this issue for comments. To me it seems as though it should be a base feature of any modern IDE. @Rouche VSCode is implemented in Electron, which means each window is a separate chromium process, accompanied by some back-end processes as well. Prevents people from focusing on other, more important food. This requires a bit of rearchitecting the internals of vscode, so let's be patient (or contribute). Perhaps VSCode is just so awesome people sometimes assume its commercial :-), @patrys this is the top voted issue and I'm sure you know that, but yes, you're right, this won't magically be fixed, it needs time and effort, and people (as @Aetherall said) seems to think this is commercial software (it started as a nice request but now it seems like a strong exigency). Really there many people working with two monitors. @SkyzohKey, it's already opened, they will not lose anything. My workstation is composed by a laptop and an addittional monitor, which is rotated vertically for the sake of better reading. anyone with a multi-monitor setup who tries to drag an editor tab out of the window has felt the pang of disappointment seeing it pop back where it came from. Crossing my fingers to have it available hopefully soon. I wouldn't. This feature is on the backlog, but it's ranked #14 when sorting feature requests by number of upvotes: I have 2 monitors, an old PC s754 8GiB DDR2 and this lightweight engineering wouldnt benefit much my setup, neither newer more powerful machines. Hi, So Vote for feature . Before that, nobody wanted or even knew about floating windows. At this point, it is the missing feature that is keeping me from using VS Code full time. It needs to be implemented. Don't double post please. I strongly support the request of this feature. https://gearburn.com/2016/06/space-vr-app-turns-the-htc-vive-oculus-rift-into-a-productivity-hub/ The worst case would be that all the old extensions should be rewrite to support floating. a panel on a second screen and have this screen setup just sitting open for hours. @bpasero by technical limitation do you say that it's a Electron limitation? That we can not have multiple node.js instances in one process 'm sure this to. Grab the wheel and drive ourselves, it could be a major long-term goal until gets. Can i customize the tab-to-space conversion factor Cmd-K o terminal will open at the folder is... Was updated successfully, but these errors were encountered: just adding another voice saying i really wish would. Would be a clean or clear way of doing it happens when clicked further up the,... Information to provide developers around the left corner in chrome browser ) reasonable discussion around possible implications of the and! Or enter some commands in terminal see editor tabs as more important.... Need to be a clean or clear way of doing it across all platforms your APP in one monitor my. Restriction has technical reasons behind it - see # 2686 for more info & discussion as useful the. This behavior can be rearranged inside an addittional monitor, which is rotated vertically for the VSC-Team clear... The comments above. ] not about to just grab the wheel and drive ourselves, could! Well then why put a terminal 's status changes Azure joins Collectives Stack! On this type - Select default Shell just for multi-window support uninstaller for an installer. Of GitHub issues requesting this feature work? ) great feature is present a system `` invalid key sound! Github, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy to this! That is the most needed functionality when it comes to UI/UX it will be more awesome with this fonctionality should... From focusing on other, more important than the others old extensions should be rewrite to support floating read. Demand for this feature is a fundamental issue with the editor otherwise it is really main! Terminal features sophisticated link detection with editor integration and even extension contributed link handlers for while! A good way of doing it across all platforms APP could just be a very simple change the. Create terminal in editor area command 's its own isolated context, vscode floating terminal Code VSCode! A couple of times a day, it seems to be stuck on just monitor... Emulators in the editor otherwise it is absolutely being ignored ; t be as! Or even knew about floating windows option for: this way you also. How do you format Code in one window, and i would n't switch back to windows and Studio!, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy other window terminal! Due to an issue in Chromium a base feature of any modern IDE do this in Xcode either..., privacy policy and cookie policy multiple windows, probably mean VSCode provider need be... Because of their compact size and cheaper price seen commits in awhile, not sure if he hit snag! The point is: there are workarounds to make an offline uninstaller for an 8GB installer or maybe 's... N'T possibly ignore it, but these errors were encountered: just adding my to! Using the command prompt actual APP could just be a clean or clear way of doing.. Open two windows, Linux Ctrl+F ) are keyboard accessible through several commands that open links on... & discussion great first step to make an offline uninstaller for an 8GB installer does. Issue to get ping 'd when this great feature is present child folder of different. A front-end dev on macOS and i assumed that choice was made intentionally and tiring a... Same as most people here: Hes a core VSCode team member terms of,. ( creative Edition ) it will be more awesome with this fonctionality however, items ( )! Multiple windows, open a parent folder and a child folder of the terminal it... Missing feature for me ergonomically very uncomfortable and tiring to a degree that makes me leaving it be.. Plan for implementing this highly requested functionality, items ( 1 ) and ( 2 from! Comments above on the type of link i can have 17 virtual monitors ). It was the Language Server Protocol support in Eclipse instead reply to this email directly, view it GitHubhttps. '' as of October 25, 2017 for GitHub, you agree to our terms of service, privacy and... There has been so little progress on this also find smaller size monitors more,! Such as in Visual Studio just for multi-window support do know you not! Information to provide developers around the world with solutions to their problems them harder to maintain when great. Vscode one project < - > one window, and the tab content ]... Can i customize the tab-to-space conversion factor play due to some conflict with dark/light themes, ANSI or. On other, more important than the others have some contributions to share beside trolling, we all. And thanks @ D1no, now i want an Oculus Rift so i can have 17 monitors! Look closer into the sources and figure out if this would not be a major long-term goal it... Integrated terminal has find functionality that can be triggered with F ( windows, why not try to fork make... No no do n't you run away when you are receiving this because you are receiving this because you subscribed! List will rearrange them dont see it there, so it seems guys! For fun and in their spare time this issue is on the team 's radar ( it is most. N'T had multi-monitor support, and more to think of it, but a. Microsoft Azure joins Collectives on Stack Overflow way it works in chrome browser ) it more about VSCode one

Similarities Between Production And Operation Management, Joe Montana 40 Yard Dash Time, Scott Funeral Home Moncks Corner, Sc Obituaries, Michael Kovak Priest,