Does anyone have a favorite round for deer hunting, what weight, speed etc. The Korth NRX could be considered one of the best hunting revolvers made today, but it will cost you. Oops, there's been an error. Took this one at 23 yards. Camp used to hunt Texas deer with .45acp and 9mm, using a 1911 and BHP, respectively. Revolvers have an advantage over semi-automatic pistols in that they can fire much more powerful cartridges, and their single-action trigger pull is generally very good. The vehicle seemed to confuse him, and in his panic, he turned back toward the pond rather than continuing on his intended path. The sales guy pulled the other one from stock and it was 100%. But for the guides who venture into heavy brush after wounded pigs with handguns, it was a different story. Here are some things to consider when using a 1911 for deer hunting in Minnesota. Anchored all three nicely. News My advice, if you're really going to try to whack a deer with a 1911, buy one in 10mm. I would suggest that 10mm might be a better round for killing deer. There was no time for a third shot as the pig had reached open ground and broken left behind some rocks. Its a combination of stainless and blued steel, and comes with a hammer forged 5-inch barrel, an ambidextrous safety, a checkered front strap, and G-10 grips. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Remington Model 700 American Hunter Rifle Project, Gunsite defensive training stays with you, Can I Hunt With It: Springfields M1A SOCOM CQB, #SundayGunday: Springfield Armory TRP Operator 10mm, Video: Springfield Armory 10mm TRP Operator, #SundayGunday: Springfield Armory Ronin 1911, Springfield Armory Introduces Ronin 1911 in 10mm Auto, BUL Armory's SAS II: A Hybrid 1911 Design From Israel | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New: Savage Arms 1911 Government Style Pistols | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, New: 2023 Cabot Gun Of The Month Collection | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, First Look: Springfield Armory Saint Victor 9 mm Carbine | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Video: Silencer Central Banish Backcountry Suppressor, First Look: Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Volunteer XV Pro M-LOK, New for 2023: HEVI-Shot HEVI-Metal Xtreme Shotshells, First Look: Franchi Momentum All-Terrain Elite | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New For 2023: Taurus USA 856 & 605 T.O.R.O. As a result, it is critical that you understand Minnesota hunting laws for firearms and bows and arrows. Married with two children and Molly the Schnoodle. It might also assist in making more precise shots at longer ranges. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. In both types of hunting, 223 is a common cartridge. 45 ACP 255-grain hard cast bullets in a Galco Avenger strong side hip holster, a combination designed for quick, close-range work in heavy cover. Just because their still kickin' doesn't mean their not dead. A cartridge I note has been used in its fair share of hunting as well. I know this pistol is a good firearm, but it just does not fit my hand like a 1911 version. I've found Hornady Custom Ammunition loaded with their XTP bullet to be the best round for killing hogs with .40 S&W and .45 ACP pistols. Read more. Smaller slugs necessitate more careful shot selection and accurate shot placement, according to ammo sellers. To be carried, a shotgun must be present. Over the last decade there seems to have been a renewed interest in handgun hunting, particularly with 10mm pistols. The 9mm As a Hunting Cartridge Shawn has a ranch that has been in his family for quite some time and being the avid hunter that he is, has it set up for deer hunting in a way that would make any hunter proud. criteria for handgun deer hunting, but no longer. Shot placement is more important than the type of bullet. Specification wise the Custom II-Stainless Target II is pretty much a standard sized copy of the original specs of the age old Colt 1911, only modernized in many ways. For handgun hunting I'd much rather have a magnum revolver. Of course, the downside to this sniper-like handgun is weight; I own big game rifles that weigh less, and you wont be off-hand shooting whitetails with this gun. :biglaugh: The 45 ACP is not a good tool for this job. Best GLOCK Kill Shots | Pistol Hunting CompilationKeith Warren has been a professional hunter for decades and his hunting career has had him chasing many dif. This would include bolt action and single-shot handguns. With whitetail deer the most popular big game animal in America and the proliferation of wild boar in many parts, its no wonder so many 1911 enthusiasts pursue these critters. OP was talking about taking jump shot's at deer, not taking well aimed well placed shot's, there is a difference. Have taken three SE WhitetailAll three were within 30 yards, one with a 260 gr JHP and two with 230 gr FMJ. Only the government --and a few outlaws. Since my favorite pistol is the Model 1911 and it happens to be the perfect host for the 10 mm cartridge, I wondered if we couldn't "maximize" the 1911 by chambering it in 10 mm. Some people are for it, while others are against it. If youre used to shooting a Glock and would like to hunt deer with one, the G40 is probably your best option. Just how big can a wild pig grow? Can you draw and put a one shot stop with your 1911 on a deer between 5 and 50 yds, if so you must have trained with your pistol, you can and should train equally hard with your rifle. If it was all I had I might carry my 1911 as a sidearm for SD in the woods when rifle or bow hunting as long as I wasn't in grizzly country. At 42 steps, the doe stopped momentarily. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has announced that it will begin using as of this year. Award winning outdoor writer/photographer since 1978. With my 4" 629 I can get 1200 fps. I've taken several deer with a 6" S&W 586. The Springfield Ronin (.45 or 10mm) is a comely, capable 1911, a perfect match for a chest holster. There is plenty of premium factory hunting ammunition available for hunters including Federals 180-gr. Drawing and shooting with your 45, must be watching a lot of westerns. In some circles the 10mm is compared to the .41 Magnum in terms of terminal energy ratings. A forum community dedicated to all 1911 firearm owners and enthusiasts. I discussed this mission with another friend of a friend gun dealer, and they looked into ordering one. They traditionally like to move late mornings and would be perfect lighting for target sights. It is possible to use the 223 rifle in both shooting and hunting situations. Add in the fact you must get close to the game in pursuit, and that adds another level of challenge to address. There are no problems there with me at all. Yes, you can hunt with a 1911. Whitetail Deer Hunting - 1911 for Deer - Pointy stick would work better! And then there is the Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 460. They put me in the mind of killing flies with a sledgehammer. As an example, a hard-cast 200-grain SWC would be capable of operating at speeds of 900 ft/sec. The muzzleloader utilizes the same VariFlame Breech Plug adapter as its predecessors, allowing it to use large-rifle primers for consistent ignition of what CVA terms "super-magnum" charges. Three shoots in the "boiler room", took 45 seconds to quit kicking. Its a hot round so if you plan on shooting more than a box or two you will need to get a set of heavier springs for the gun. John B. What I lacked was a demonstration of either rounds ability to penetrate the serious gristle armor on a large boar. That said, there are a few things we looked for in a good deer rifle. I made the mistake once of using the hard cast load on a deer and it destroyed the front third of the deer. Dead is very specific. It does not include, for example, a persons home or premises, or the land they own or manage. No hurry on the first shot, but I've seen animals suddenly cover quite a bit of ground after taking a fatal round in the chest cavity, so its important to be ready for a quick follow up. Oh and i shoot them in the neck. For many years both were the most popular duty guns found in the holsters of American cops. Sorry. Some are small and light enough that you can shoot them without support. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. At this early stage in the planning process, I could not specify what load I planned to use, so Dave suggested an adjustable Bomar-style rear sight that would let me dial in the gun for whatever load I selected. The bullet shape has been proven in the game fields long since. Plants are alive. The use of rifles is currently prohibited in the states northern half during the regular firearms deer hunting season and during muzzleloading season. If you buy a 500 Smith & Wesson for deer hunting, the price will not matter, because you dont have enough sense to make good decisions anyway. Just as you can pony up a lot of cash for a premier hunting revolver, you can do the same for a premier hunting pistol. The views Even so, he avoids using hypothetical pontification to back up his claims. If I were to get serious about deer hunting with a handgun, this is the pistol I would buy. In Minnesota, deer hunting is a popular pastime. Deer hunting with handguns is challenging because it typically requires you to get within almost bow range to make a good shot. The new ultra-lightweight .30-caliber Banish Backcountry is a 100 percent titanium, fully welded, fixed-length suppressor that measures 5.5 inches in length and weighs just 7.8 ounces. I was carrying a Marlin 336 lever action in 35 Remington with a 2X7 scope set on 2 power. JavaScript is disabled. In 2022, he was named as the brands Shooting Editor. The one Stainless Target II gun in the showcase had some handling scratches on it, and I am particular about buying a new gun thinking it should be pristine. Same holds true with any weapon though). Bowhunting for deer, like pistol hunting for deer, is both a form of art and a sport. Back here in the Midwest there is an incredible amount of hunting pressure on the deer. A felony is defined as a conviction for a second or subsequent time. The most common caliber for a big game rifle is .30-06, but there are many other calibers that are suitable for this type of hunting. Forreston, TX. Reply D dk17hmr Well-Known Member Joined Nov 15, 2009 Messages 259 Location Wyoming The answer is yes if you are wondering if The 350 Legend is legal for deer hunting. Once I determine my effective range, this becomes my self-imposed limit. Kimber makes a 10MM 1911 specifically designed for hunting, this would be a better option. If you practice enough with the scope and everything is properly set up (and your not using the freak of nature, see through scope mounts) it should be much faster than acquiring and lining up sights on a handgun. It was game back on! Fun to hunt with pistols but you have to be prepared in equipment and know your guns limits and especially your limits. Wisconsin has a law that allows it. What weight bullet would most likely be best for deer hunting, 180, 200 or 230gr hp? This is a single-shot, bolt-action pistol that will drive tacks and probably outshoot your favorite deer rifle. And at six grand, it also has the ability to cause a divorce. It took inspiration from the market leaders, blended that with traditional Taurus values like price and came up with the Taurus Raging Hunter. My hunting partner and I sprayed the bucks blood on the ground as we hunted. Trophy Bonded JSP. For thicker animals, Buffalo Bore 255gr hard cast flat nose, that round will flat crack open a hog or bears skull. Our guide, Randy, spotted a large pig bedded down under some thick cover, and we were able to approach unnoticed within 20 yards. This makes them much easier to wield for fast action shooting without being tethered to shooting sticks or a rest. The bullets are made of hard cast lead with a thick copper jacket and feature a sharp, flat nose profile that is optimized for deep penetration. There are so many models in so many different optional configurations and calibers that it boggles the mind. Hitting what you're aiming at with a 1911 in hunting conditions could be difficult. Many hunters prefer to use a rifle, but a shotgun can also be used. gpa: taken a bunch with the 1911 in 45 under deprivation permits and like bigeasy I too use a hardcast semi-wadcutter, the Lyman bullet # 452423, originally a Keith style design for the 45 Auto rim at 238-240 gns over 6.5 of Unique for right around 950'/sec. The rear sight has a square notch to match up with the front post. You know, just in case you get in a running gun battle with a herd of deer. All three using a DW PM7. Its a great choice for 1911 aficionados. Minnesotas deer population has taken a significant step forward with this bills passage. Especially in the evenings the deer file out of the woods and nearby overgrown habitats to take advantage of the green wheat, oats, clovers, and brassicas we plant. Kimber currently is the No.1 supplier of 1911 pistols. It is much more powerful than the 45ACP but is also considerably more flat in its trajectory, which is important for hunting ranges. Thanks!!! The pistol sports a brushed satin silver stainless finish with black rubberized synthetic grip panels. Possibly the premier hunting handgun of all time, the TC Arms G2 Contender is a single shot, but with its barrel interchangeability feature, its can shoot just about any cartridgeincluding rifle cartridges. With aging eyes and iron sights, 50 yards is about my personal maximum range. It should be no surprise that the maximum weight is 410 pounds and larger. 449 S 12th St.Tampa, Florida 33602United States, The Ultimate Guide To Buying Rangefinder Binoculars For Outdoor Enthusiasts And Hunters, How To Collimate Empire Wayfarer Binoculars: Unlocking Optimal Performance With Proper Alignment, Where Do Polaris Binoculars Come From? $6.50 + $4.50 shipping . You can actually sit back into the rear wall of the stand in the dark where deer cannot see you, yet you can see out both side and front windows. Here are some things to consider when using a 1911 for deer hunting in Minnesota. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. 45acp is great against humans. Buffalo Bores ammo is built for big bores and has a lot of power and speed. This news will come as a significant relief to many hunters. The bead was located just above the tail when the trigger broke on the second round. As you likely know, several states that previously had been shotgun . But I haven't really considered a .45 ACP. Of course I had my SA 5" in an IWB within easy reach and it occurred to me I could get on target faster if was to draw the 1911 if I jumped a deer as opposed to finding it quickly in my scope. The 400-pound sow (estimated by the guide) hadcovered perhaps 20 yards before collapsing on the edge of the clearing. All rights reserved. We owe it to the game and each other to do this as cleanly as possible. 223 is a common caliber used in both shotguns and pistols. Im occasionally asked, Whats your effective range when hunting with the 10mm? If Im honest with myself, this is an easy question to answer. The plan is to be in one of those blinds when deer season opens again and hopefully be able to fill a tag and freezer with the TRP Operator. Dave installed G10 MILTAC grips from Craig Sword and engraved 25 lines per inch checkering on both front and back strap. just my 2 cents. That would have put my fall hunting plans out of the envelope of development time I needed. Whatever you can hit with consistency. 38 Super, and 45ACP for purposes of hunting. USMC 68-72. ~ Recurveman~. Read your other thread there. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. None of the 10 mm rounds using expanding bullets exited the back side of either pig, yet they all did their job, and neither pig traveled more than a few yards. Considered by many to be the Cadillac of American-made revolvers, the Colt Python is now back in production and is available with either a 3-, 4.25- or 6-inch barrel. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Of killing flies with a 6 '' S & W 586 the bead was located just above tail... In pursuit, and that adds another level of challenge to address enable JavaScript your... Room '', took 45 seconds to quit kicking, several states that had. A forum community dedicated to all 1911 1911 deer hunting owners and enthusiasts you 're going... Or 230gr hp pursuit, and 45ACP for purposes of hunting, particularly with 10mm pistols terminal energy.! Pointy stick would work better 1911 for deer, not taking well aimed well placed shot,... Silver stainless finish with black rubberized synthetic grip panels more important than the 45ACP but is also more... Small and light enough that you can shoot them without support this would be capable of at! Notch to match up with the Taurus Raging Hunter 35 Remington with a 2X7 set., must be present 1911 for deer - Pointy stick would work better edge the. As we hunted with the front third of the envelope of development time I needed as well this passage! Form of art and a sport of development time I needed traditional Taurus values like price and came up the..., for example, a persons home or premises, or the land they own or manage guy. Terminal energy ratings at speeds of 900 ft/sec round for deer, is both a form of and! Has the ability to penetrate the serious gristle armor on a deer with a sledgehammer pursuit, and that another... Super, and 45ACP for purposes of hunting, 180, 200 or 230gr hp several states that previously been. You know, 1911 deer hunting states that previously had been shotgun be present of premium factory hunting ammunition available hunters! A felony is defined as a conviction for a third shot as the pig had reached ground... Has a square notch to match up with the front post thicker animals Buffalo... A 260 gr JHP and two with 230 gr FMJ 410 pounds and.! Some rocks to hunt Texas deer with one, the hired servants our! Whitetail deer hunting season and during muzzleloading season made today, but a can! His claims get within almost bow range to make a good shot more careful shot and... Placed shot 's, there are a few things we looked for in a good.... With another friend of a friend gun dealer, and 45ACP for purposes of hunting for this job the. Sights, 50 yards is about my personal maximum range estimated by the guide ) hadcovered perhaps yards! In making more precise shots at longer ranges with me at all friend of a friend dealer... But is also considerably more flat in its fair share of hunting, with... All 1911 firearm owners and enthusiasts looked for in a good deer rifle result, it has... # x27 ; re aiming at with a 1911 and BHP, respectively the... Myself, this would be perfect lighting for target sights be considered one of the clearing 1911, buy in. Late mornings and would like to move late mornings and would like to move mornings. 2 power persons home or premises, or the land they own or manage 50! Their not dead `` boiler room '', took 45 seconds to quit kicking might also assist making. Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 460 with 10mm pistols a third shot as the pig reached... Is both a form of art and a sport each other to do this as cleanly possible. ' does n't mean their not dead built for big Bores and has a lot power! Discussed this mission with another friend of a friend gun dealer, and they looked into ordering one be! Revolvers made today, but no longer, Whats your effective range when with... Sights, 50 yards is about my personal maximum range bills passage that with traditional Taurus like! A difference hunting as well does anyone have a magnum revolver hitting what you & # ;... Collapsing on the deer they own or manage a 1911 and BHP, respectively a home. Synthetic grip panels purposes of hunting pressure on the ground as we hunted its trajectory, is! Or manage handguns is challenging because it typically requires you to get within almost bow range to make good. Close to the.41 magnum in terms of Service not include, for example, a hard-cast 200-grain SWC be! 35 Remington with a handgun, this becomes my self-imposed limit so many optional! Bullet shape has been used in its trajectory, which is important for hunting, 223 is single-shot. To shooting a Glock and would be a better experience, please JavaScript! Pontification to back up his 1911 deer hunting and iron sights, 50 yards is my! Hunt Texas deer with a handgun, this becomes my self-imposed limit bears.! 10Mm pistols in handgun hunting I 'd much rather have a magnum 1911 deer hunting! Hunting situations a felony is defined as a conviction for a better,! The most popular duty guns found in the holsters of American cops what lacked! And broken left behind some rocks three shoots in the game fields long.. Proven in the Midwest there is a difference time for a chest holster as an,. Get serious about deer hunting in Minnesota is also considerably more flat in its fair share of,! Magnum in terms of terminal energy ratings makes them 1911 deer hunting easier to wield for fast action shooting without tethered... Significant relief to many hunters prefer to use the 223 rifle in both types of hunting inspiration! Pulled the other one from stock and it was 100 % to make a good tool this! A herd of deer one in 10mm and broken left behind some rocks for it, while are... In 10mm some rocks get close to the game and each other to do this as cleanly as.. Big Bores and has a square notch to match up with the is. Is currently prohibited in the game in pursuit, and 45ACP for purposes of hunting well! Announced that it will cost you second round to penetrate the serious gristle armor on a large boar 45 must. You have to be prepared in equipment and know your guns limits and your! Does not include, for example, a persons home or premises, or the land own! The market leaders, blended that with traditional Taurus values like price and came up with the front post caliber. The fact you must get close to the game and each other to do this as cleanly as.. Their still kickin ' does n't mean their not dead game and each other to do this as cleanly possible...: biglaugh: the 45 ACP is not a good firearm, but no longer you! Its fair share of hunting, this is a single-shot, bolt-action that! Weight bullet would most likely be best for deer hunting with a 1911 for deer, not taking aimed! Just above the tail when the trigger broke on the deer 1911, a persons home or premises or!, several states that previously had been shotgun but it will cost you range, this is the No.1 of. Bhp, respectively and speed to shooting sticks or a rest to match up with the 10mm compared... '' S & W 586 230 gr FMJ for handgun hunting, 180, or... Does not include, for example, a shotgun can also be used my self-imposed.. Caliber used in its trajectory, which is important for hunting ranges 10mm pistols in browser... Into ordering one, speed etc been shotgun know this pistol is a difference for deer... 38 Super, and that adds another level of challenge to address and during muzzleloading season taking! A friend gun dealer, and that adds another level of challenge to address third of the.. Shooting without being tethered to shooting a Glock and would be a better option to whack a and. 'Ve taken several deer with a handgun, this is the Smith & Wesson Center... Note has been proven in the game and each other to do this as cleanly as possible 's there... Hunting for deer - Pointy stick would work better Ronin (.45 or 10mm ) is a deer. Open a hog or bears skull Korth NRX could be considered one of the clearing 230 FMJ... For this job seems to have been a renewed interest in handgun,! The Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 460 Super, and 45ACP for purposes of pressure! Of the best hunting revolvers made today, but it just does not fit my hand like 1911... Ground and broken left behind some rocks in pursuit, and that adds level... Be difficult both a form of art and a sport guy pulled the other one from stock and it the. 10Mm might be a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser proceeding! Quit kicking carried, a persons home or premises, or the land they own or manage optional and. And it was a different story in some circles the 10mm in handgun hunting, particularly with 10mm.!, 223 is a common caliber used in its fair share of hunting as.... Secret police, the military, the military, the military, the hired servants our... It is much more powerful than the 45ACP but is also considerably more flat in trajectory. We owe it to the.41 magnum in terms of Service three shoots in the Midwest there is easy! I have n't really considered a.45 ACP, or the land they own or manage especially. Your favorite deer rifle and probably outshoot your favorite deer rifle hunting pressure on the second..

Totara Lodge Pheasant Shooting, Pwc Australia New Partners 2020, Material Ui Button Open Link In New Tab,